TEKEVER ASDS (Project Coordinator)
TEKEVER ASDS (Aerospace, Defence and Security) develops and delivers advanced technological solutions in the areas of communications, autonomous vehicles and space systems for the aeronautics, space, defence and security markets. TEKEVER ASDS is completely privately owned and counts on around 40 highly skilled, experienced and motivated staff. 95% of the staff have undergraduate (BSc) or graduate (MSc) degrees and their backgrounds cover different disciplines, from Mechanical and Electronics to Aerospace and Industrial Engineering. TEKEVER ASDS was created in 2006 as a spin-off of the TEKEVER Group, and develops and incubates innovative technologies, maturing them enough to create new products or integrate them into existing product lines of the company. The main technical areas of ASDS include Communication Systems focusing on innovative tactical communication systems, based on concepts as Software-Defined Radio (SDR), Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networks (DTN) or Cognitive Radio; the Autonomous Systems division which develops advanced multi-mission, multi-purpose autonomous systems for Air, Land and Water environments and the Space division aimed at developing cutting edge technologies for the Space market and investigate the spin-in into space of Group technology. TEKEVER group has extensive experience in collaborative research, with more than 30 FP6 and FP7 successfully concluded, 10 of which as coordinator. TEKEVER is already participating in 2 H2020 project one of which as the coordinator.
ARALIA SYSTEMS (ARL)
Founded in 1995, Aralia has provided 'intelligent' surveillance solutions since 1997, making it one of the oldest and best-established companies in the intelligent surveillance market. Conceived as a solution to secure transportation and critical infrastructure applications, Aralia’s software was designed to enhance the overall security of rail systems, airports and public buildings.
Specializing in image processing and IoT capabilities, Aralia has obtained and successfully delivered upon multiple government backed product development projects.
Aralia Systems’ core business is focused on security and surveillance but has developed a keen interest in developing new markets. Aralia has a market leading position and offers particularly strong expertise in developing image databases, data mining and visualisation systems, all of which will compose a part of the company contribution to this work, and which provides excellent fit with the research to be undertaken within this project. Over the last 7 years Aralia has invested heavily in the development of 3D sensing capabilities and has developed a novel 3D imaging sensor.
INSTITUTO TELECOMUNICAÇÕES AVEIRO (IT)
Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT) is a private, not-for-profit organization, of public interest, a partnership of nine institutions with research and development in the field of Telecommunications. IT mission is to create and disseminate scientific knowledge in the field of telecommunications. IT is actively involved in fundamental and applied research both at national and international levels. Simultaneously it is committed to foster higher education and training, by hosting and tutoring graduate and postgraduate students. it also plays its role towards public society with public awareness initiatives, knowledge transfer to industry, and by providing consulting services on a non-competing basis.
IT is organized around 3 sites and 4 branches:
- Aveiro, in the University Campus
- Coimbra, at Site II of the University of Coimbra
- Lisbon, at Instituto Superior Técnico
- Porto, at the Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto
- Covilhã, at the University of Beira Interior
- Leiria, at the Leiria Polytechnic
- Lisbon, at ISCTE-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa
Some IT researchers are located also at other Portuguese higher education units namely at the universities of Algarve, Évora and Nova de Lisboa, and the polytechnics of Lisbon, Setúbal and Tomar.
Scientific expertise in IT, from which follow its main research and education activities, spans the following areas:
- Wireless Communications
- Optical Communications
- Networks and Multimedia
- Basic Sciences and Enabling Technologies
IT members (about 260 PhD holders) are organized into research groups which cover most of the R&D areas in Telecommunications and supporting sciences and technologies. In 2014 IT hosted about 300 PhD students and about 200 MSc students.
Advanced laboratory facilities are available in most Scientific Areas of IT to support applied research, which is carried out in the framework of national and international projects in cooperation with similar research institutions worldwide. Each year IT is involved in more than 170 projects, of which about 30 have European funding, obtained in a competitive basis.
The high level of scientific research is attested by a solid number of peer reviewed international publications and by other internationalization and quality indicators. Yearly, IT scientific output nears 40 books and book chapters, 350 papers in international scientific peer refereed journals, 450 papers in the scientific meetings proceedings and more than 10 filed patents.
BULGARIAN DEFENCE INSTITUTE (BDI)
The Bulgarian Defence Institute “Professor Tsvetan Lazarov” (BDI) is the main scientific research, experimental, engineering and expert structure of the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Bulgaria. It performs nearly all of the Armed Forces’ basic and applied research and technology development.
Our work is focused on:
- Scientific-research activities, scientific-practical activities, development and experimental-design activities in the sphere of Armaments, C4I Systems, Military Techniques, Logistic Equipment and Materials.
- Support to the Analysis of the situation of the Armaments, C4I Systems, Military Techniques, Logistic Equipment and materials and working out of perspective prognoses on their development.
- Support to the Integrated Project Teams through taking part in the preparation, scientific monitoring and complete implementation of the defence programs and projects.
- Preparation of scientific personnel through education in doctoral programs, their development and creation of scientific-technical expertise for the needs of the Defence System.
- Support and provision of scientific-technical consultations by experts for the needs of the Armaments Council and the Defence Capabilities Council.
- Cooperation in the sphere of research works, development, testing and certification of the defence products in the frameworks of NATO, The European Union, as well as on bilateral basis and in national aspect.
- Preparation of technical specifications and expertise, programs and methods for testing, as well as standardization and other documents, related to the acquisition of defence products.
- Preparation and performance of laboratory, functional, acquisitional, field and other testing of armaments, C4I systems, Military techniques, Logistic equipment and materials.
- Treasure, acquisition and development of the departmental standards.
- Certification of Quality Management Systems in accordance with NATO Standards, guaranteeing of the quality and assessment of the compliance during the acquisition of defence products.
- Ensuring of aviation safety and flying suitability of the military aerial vehicles, as well as of the aerial vehicles of the Ministry of the Interior. Certification of airworthiness.
The international cooperation of the Defence Institute includes:
- Participation of specialists from the Defence Institute in the decision-making process and in the bodies of The European Defence Agency (EDA) and NATO Science & Technology Organization (STO);
- Participation of experts in the working bodies of the NATO Standartization Agency (NSA);
- Participation of specialists from the Defence Institute in the activities of the EU, NATO, in international projects, as well as in some expert and research teams on bilateral an international basis;
- Organization and participation in international scientific conferences and workshops;
- Dissemination of BDI’s research achievements through publications in specialized journals, magazines, conference proceedings, etc.